Friday, November 27, 2015

Pre-Advent


This week falls between the Festival of Christ the King and the First Sunday in Advent when we begin to reflect on the Second Coming of Christ.  Right in between the Americans celebrate Thanksgiving (on Thursday 26th November) which also sees a series of special NFL games throughout the country.

Now is a time to reflect upon the coming Christmas season. For me, I was actually ahead of myself this year (last year I hardly knew it was Christmas after the turmoil inflicted on my life in the Spring). I spent several hours on Wednesday shopping in Gunwharf Quay, Portsmouth, and I am pleased to say that I managed to get quite a few items.  Not only do I have Christmas presents to buy but my brother-in-law, sister and daughter all have birthdays between now and Christmas Day - so more presents to purchase.

I started a really heavy cold this week which has left me feeling extremely debilitated and haven't slept all that well.  On Thursday the children's beds and bedroom furniture arrived and so we now have proper sleeping accommodation in the two double bedrooms as well as on our "Eyrie" third floor.  The new house is slowly getting to look like and feel like home but there are still a large number of boxes to empty. Mary is staying with me at the moment whilst her Mum moves into their new home in Amesbury.  Its good to have her staying. Seeing an old friend in town tomorrow for lunch which will be good and have a free Sunday - no service to prepare for and deliver.  Just hope this cold will go away soon and leave me feeling a lot better.  The one thing which doesn't help my head though is having to listen to all these crass commercial Christmas Muzak tapes in the shops. Drives me potty!

No comments:

Post a Comment