Sunday, January 25, 2009

Water, Wine and Haggis



After a late start and quick breakfast, having first of all raised the Scottish St. Andrew's flag (see left) in honour of Robbie Burns' 250 birthday today, it was off to All Saints for the 9.30 a.m. Morning Worship service taken by Cynthia. A short service which pleased Tom with an excellent sermon from Cynthia on the subject of the Wedding at Canaan. It really must have been some party - 180 gallons of water turned into wine - and that was after the first lot had run out! Sara and Tom left for home after the service in the car following coffee and Mary and I walked the mile home after some further chatting at the back of the church. Once home it was a quick clean of the Mercedes and a lunch of spag. bol. I spent the early afternoon watching a video of a lecture by Nicky Gumbel in response to the Da Vinci Code (my mind still fresh from watching the film last night) whilst Sara and Mary made a 2nd Birthday cake for Food for Thought. Tom was busy on his laptop doing...who knows what? We all attended an enjoyable Food for Thought service in the village hall at 4 p.m. Klynn and Susan hosted it on the theme of the Creation. I helped out by giving a reading from Genesis in the style of the Street Bible (or Word on the Street as it it now called). Back home I lowered the St. Andrews flag and prepared the traditional Burns' Night supper of haggis, 'neeps and tatties although the neeps were mashed swede. Tom and Mary didn't fancy it but Sara and I had decent helpings, washed down in my case by a dram of Famous Grouse! After supper spoke to Mum on the phone. She says she is suffering from pain all over and is going back to see the doctor again tomorrow. I will give her a call again later in the week - a very busy week ahead too. I thought I would end this blog with quoting one of my favourite Burn's poems - one that is not written in the Scottish dialect. Happy Birthday Robbie:-
My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer -
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North
The birth place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forrests and wild-hanging woods;
Farwell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;
My heart's in the Highlands, whereever I go.


1 comment:

  1. You missed a real treat with Hamish playing the Pipes in the street, you may have heard them ....as I think most of our street did.

    ReplyDelete