Thursday, January 29, 2009

Manx Justice


A fascinating day today. Awoke early at 6 a.m. disturbing a strange dream about me and the family working at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas on a miniature railway. How bizarre is that? Sara will no doubt have here interpretation on it. Worked on my emails until 7.30 a.m. when I went downstairs for a breakfast of excellent Manx kippers whilst overlooking the promenade. The weather is grey and overcast but not unduly cold. Rose from our Isle of Man office joined me for coffee before we set off for the Deemster’s Court which was being held in the modern Royal Courts of Justice on the hill about ten minutes walk from the hotel. The hearing into whether or not a Manx subsidiary of an Icelandic bank should be liquidated had been the subject of much interest in the Isle of Man and had been reported on the morning Manx FM radio news programme. The court was a sea of advocates’ wigs and it was interesting to see the Manx Attorney General paying homage to his younger brother the Deemster. The hearing took over three hours resulting in a decision to adjourn the hearing for a further 21 days. It therefore looks like I will be returning to the Isle of Man again on 19th February.
I spent the afternoon in our Castletown office engaged in various meetings, telephone conferences and dealing with yet more e-mails received during the morning. Leaving at 5.30 p.m. with one of our new overseas business partnering executives, Pete, I arrived back at the hotel in Douglas and after arranging to meet later for a drink and dinner, went for a swim in the wonderful Grecian-style swimming pool in the basement. The water was quite cold however as seems to be most things onthe island.
Pete and I then met up in the bar for a quick beer before venturing out into a very windy night to visit an excellent Indian restaurant about 200 yards from the hotel. A fantastic meal with the restaurant is now on my radar for a re-visit in February if/when I return over here then. Returning to the hotel at around 10.45 p.m. I spoke to Sara on the telephone. She had been at a Virgin Vie party in Harnham which had been moderately successful. I ended the day by watching an interesting programme about a team of divers in the Amazon searching out new species and drafting this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment