Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Roast


A strange and frustrating day in some respects. Knowing that Tom would need taking to Amesbury for the Clarendon Junior FC's Under-12s clash against Amesbury Lions, I woke up early to attend the Early Morning Eucharist service at St. John's at 8 a.m. As I approached the church the lack of cars and a notice on the church door (which I didn't bother to read) suddenly reminded me that we had already reached the third Sunday in the month (how did that happen so quickly?) and there was no service there!
Back home for porridge and then off again to Amesbury. The field on which we had to park was saturated after the heavy rain and we slid into the parking place. Unlike the Saints game yesterday, Clarendon Juniors couldn't stop scoring goals and gave the Amesbury Lions an absolute Sunday roasting with a 16 (or was it 17?) -0 win! Unfortunately Tom felt so unwell after about 15 minutes that he took himself off and we left at half-time - only just got away though as the car got stuck in the mud and I had to use the reverse gear to get off the field! Before a soup lunch I cleaned up the car which looked as though it had taken part in an off-road rally. It was good to talk to father-in-law, David, and brother-in-law Adam in the afternoon on the phone before we had an early dinner of roast pork which Sara cooked to perfection. Then off for a belated church service at Farley (Team Evensong) which was in the traditonal BCP format. Not many attendees unfortunately but a very good service with a good sermon and an opportunity to chat with Elizabeth. Back home for my weekly telephone call to Mum in Grimsby and then sat down with the usual glass of red wine to write this blog and watch "The 40-Year Old Virgin". I had forgotten how funny it was and how much it reminded me of some of my earlier days!

1 comment: