Saturday, December 03, 2011

Saints fail at Keepmoat/Meeting an Old Colleague


I had a good night’s sleep last night and woke at around 7 a.m.  I made tea for myself and Mum and went back to bed to read my devotionals.  I finally got out of bed at around 8.30 a.m. and Mum made breakfast for us – pancakes and porridge.  Mid-morning, Tom and I went off to deliver some Christmas cards around Grimsby (we’ll do the same thing tomorrow around Cleethorpes) and the last call we made was to my first boss, Cyril, who back in 1975 had given me my first full time job which led to me being qualified as a solicitor and moving down to the south of England.  As my mentor, he was more instrumental than probably anyone else in my life in giving me encouragement and believing in me to offer me a job which formed me and led to my professional qualification.  I have always felt a great indebtedness to him.  I was delighted then when, as we pulled up outside his home for Tom to drop in his card, he was just getting out of a neighbour’s car with his newspaper and some shopping.  He invited us inside his home and we spent nearly half an hour chatting and catching up on life.  It is amazing to think that he is now 89 years old but his memory and wit are as sharp as ever.  He is now quite frail and he sadly lost his wife Connie some four years ago but sti8ll keeps active with work for a charity for the blind and with church work.  He expressed great delight in what he described as the success I had made of my life.  He clearly was pleased.  After this wonderful diversion, Tom and I then drove to Doncaster to attend the Doncaster Rovers v. Southampton football match.  It was really cold this afternoon with a cold cutting wind and many black clouds.  The football suited the weather too.  Saints played really poorly today with Do Prado missing many opportunities.  Doncaster, who are bottom of the table, played up well and were rewarded with a goal in the 60th minute.  Saints simply couldn’t respond and at the end of the game the score removed as a 1-0 defeat for Saints.  We fully expected Southampton to drop to second in the table but a massive cheer went up as it was announced on the public address system that West Ham had also lost, at home, against Burnley.  Well done Eddie Howe, he saved a total  south coast humiliation. Whilst these game were going, Grimsby Town could only manage a goalless draw at Salisbury and so Salisbury City will have to go up to Blundell Park on a cold December night on Tuesday the 13th.  Grimsby should have been able to secure a win against the lower leagued team.  Salisbury will be well pleased with the result as they will, at least, be in the hat for the third round which could mean they will have the prize of a club to play against if they win the replay.   On the way back my car’s warning system announced that my front tyre was leaking air again which means that I must get the wheel looked at when I get back down south.  I filled it with it with air back in Grimsby and will keep an eye on it tomorrow morning.  Mum was not feeling too good when we got back, she had been out shopping today and was in pain so didn’t want to go out for a meal as we had suggested.  Instead, Tom and I went to the local fish and chip shop and brought back haddock and chips and mushy peas for the three of us.  In fact, Tom much preferred that to going out for a carvery – so everybody was happy.  What a great day – the highlight being to see Cyril – the low point being a poor performance from Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment