Friday, June 28, 2013

History of Stonehenge

The weather was overcast this morning but quite warm leaving a rather muggy feeling in the air.  I worked in the study this morning whilst Sara went to Netheravon to pick up a decorated cake for tomorrow's Streetz Cheerleaders' Fete.   This afternoon she took Mary to the cinema to see Despicable 2.  At lunchtime I picked up the parish magazines from the printers and delivered them to the distributors as well as placing a few copies in each of the Winterslow Anglican churches. This evening I drove to Swindon to attend a meeting of Wiltshire Masters' Lodge where I was elected as Worshipful Master for next year (I take office at the end of August - just one month before my licensing).  following the formal part of the meeting we were entertained by an excellent illustrated talk by the curator of the Wiltshire Museum in Devizes on the history and use of Stonehenge.  Fascinating stuff including a description of some of the archaeological finds in the neighbouring barrows.  I hadn't realised just how many ancient burial sites and other historic sites there were around Stonehenge - all of which become more apparent now when looking at Google Maps.  We had an excellent "Wiltshire Salad" to follow: - ham, turkey and minted new potatoes.  I arrived back home at 10.30 p.m. after a good drive back from the Swindon metropolis - a much easier journey than that which I experienced on the way there - it took me half an hour to get through Marlborough.  Exciting day tomorrow with another trip to the north of the county to pick up my new car!

No comments:

Post a Comment