Sunday, June 30, 2013

Preaching at Porton

Another very warm day today and up early to review my sermon and print off a copy to take with me to Porton.  Sara and I arrived in good time and we enjoyed a packed church with quite a few clerics in the congregation – slightly worrying when you find yourself preaching to a number of “collars”. The theme of my sermon today was “calling” with a gospel reading from Luke 9:51-63 in which Jesus sets down conditions to those who say they have been called.  This weekend priests and deacons are being ordained in the Cathedral including Mark from our very own Clarendon Team village of Pitton.  The service and congregation were “warm” and both Sara and I felt really welcome in Porton Parish Church.  Afterwards a number of people said that they had found the sermon inspirational including a number of the clergy who felt it had spoken to them – I felt quite humble especially as I had only written up the sermon last night (although in truth the structure and content had been going around and around in my head for a few days before that. A copy of the sermon can be found at http://pulpitmichael.blogspot.com.  This afternoon Sara went to Andover to do one her teenage makeover parties and after I had mowed the inside lawns I chucked a few sausages and burgers on the BBQ and provided myself and the children with a simple grilled lunch.  I had a short nap this afternoon.  This evening Richard and I had our usual get together at the Lion’s Head where he told me that he too had just ordered a new car – a Mini.  He has decided to sell the house when Linda starts her curacy and will probably buy something down in Cornwall.  A really fulfilling day today.  I had been a bit anxious about my sermon – always the case when you are preaching in a church you do not know – but in hindsight I had nothing at all to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment