Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A visit to Mompesson House

Fewer appointments today which made for a more measured day.  I took Thom to Stockbridge but this time taking the shorter route and we arrived well ahead of the bus.  This gave me time, also, to visit the supermarket and buy rolls and a morning paper.  After breakfast, and picking up the morning's mail, I drove into Salisbury where I picked up the tickets for the cathedral seats for family and close friends, and then on to Sarum College where I spent most of the day reading and catching up on paperwork in the lovely quiet atmosphere of the library room.  I did venture out at lunchtime to make a visit on Mompesson House, a National Trust property I had never visited before although it is only two hundred yards from the college, and ha da look around the five rooms open to the public.  I was impressed by some of the water colours and the square piano (dating from 1701).  I had a light lunch of a toasted cheese and pickle sandwich and a pot of tea under an awning whilst watching the rain come down.  At the end of my day at College I went across to the cathedral and enjoyed the choral evensong.  A lovely reflective way to end the day.  The reading was from the Book of Ruth which I had lectured on last week.  I enjoyed an early night tonight especially as I have to be up early again tomorrow to take Thom to Stockbridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment