Sunday, September 22, 2013

Opening of SP2

An exciting day today with the opening of the new SP2 Community Centre at Fisherton as part of the expanded mission of St. Paul's Church.  Sara, Mary and I decided that we would go to St. Paul's this morning and join the congregation for the opening and blessing of this wonderful new £1.8 million facility.  We first of all attended a slightly shortened Morning Praise service at which the Bishop of Ramsbury preached an excellent sermon and then some 500 or so of us walked across the road to the new centre to witness the blessing/dedication of the building by the bishop and the formal opening by John Glen M.P. for Salisbury.  The facilities are wonderful and represent a truly missional approach to Christianity.  Sara signed up for the Alpha Course which St. Paul's are running from next week. I shall continue to worship here on those Sunday's when my duties don't require me to be in the Clarendon Team. This afternoon I watched some American Football with Thom - New York Giants at Carolina Panthers and witnessed the Panthers' biggest win.  Thom is a keen supporter of the Panthers as it is his grandpa's team in the same way that Grimsby town is his paternal grandfather's team.  Lovely to see such family loyalty.  I still don't fully understand the game of American Football but I do have a better idea and hopefully will be able to understand what is happening at Wembley in a week's time much better.  I spoke briefly on the telephone to Mum (she had an emotional time this week with having to attend the funeral of a close friend) and continues to be in a lot of physical pain. Such a pity she can't make my admission and licensing and 60th Birthday next week.  I ended the day in the usual Sunday manner - a few drinks with richer din the Lion's Head where I met a newcomer to the village who is an organist, former church warden and Freemason.  I shall invite him to our next lodge meeting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment