Friday, September 06, 2013

St Trinian's Night

Up early this morning to go to Ambassadors', although I had to stay at home until Mary had left as Sara had taken Thom to Winchester as a "dry run" on the bus for his college next week.  'There were not many at Ambassadors' this morning and the ten minute talk was from a business machines (photocopiers and printers) engineer/consultant.  After leaving the Grasmere Hotel I called in a the Bookers Cash 'n' Carry to pick up some orange juice and beer (including a case of Betty Stogs for Richard. I drove over to Westbury for morning coffee and teacakes with Ashley and provide dhim with some material to assist him in completing his portfolios.  Sadly, he will not be licensed with me in a few weeks time and will need to catch up on his outstanding work - hopefully before another year has passed. He is going to come to my licensing ceremony and buffet luncheon afterwards together with his wife (Sharon) and daughter (Verity).  I arrived back in Winterlsow after a short shopping excursion in Warminster at around 2.30 p.m.  Sara and Thom had had a successful trip to Winchester and Thom seemed to be confident in knowing where to get on and off the bus for his college. It transpires that he hasn't to walk as far to the college as we thought as a bus stop before the terminus in Winchester is closest to the college. Tonight Sara and I went across to the Village Hall to a joint 50th Birthday party with a fancy dress theme of St. Trinian's.  Sara and I were dressed as school teachers complete with mortar board and gown.   There must have been well in excess of 150 people there with masses of food, fireworks and a live band.  Unfortunately the band and the music generally was far too loud and it was impossible to have any decent  conversations with anyone all night.  I did go outside on  a couple of occasions but later in the evening it started to rain heavily - so that was no longer an option.  Sara and I (and Mary who came along a little later) left at about 10.30 p.m. with our ears ringing with the loud music.  Guess we are getting old - not really my kind of thing.  Tomorrow night we are going to a much more sedate occasion - a dinner for all reigning masters in Wiltshire and their partners at Calne Masonic Centre. I am to propose the toast to the PGM apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment