Sunday, September 15, 2013

Monday 9th September to Sunday 15th September - Weekly Catch Up

This last week has been an extremely hectic, and in some respects, an emotional one with endless meetings and appointments, as a result of which I have only had chance to complete this blog at the end of the week – hence this is a weekly entry rather than the usual daily one.  Many of the things happening this week have been the subject of writings in my spiritual journal and not for public proclamation as quite a few meetings and experiences have been difficult for me.  Suffice it to say, at the end of this week I am now only two weeks away from my 60th birthday and my licensing as a Lay Minister in the Church of England and each event has, in its own way, prompted me to be extremely reflective on my life – both past and future.  To live in the present has much to commend itself as often looking back to the past leads to rather subjective views of events – both good and bad – and looking to the future is towards hopes which might not be fulfilled or which might become frustrated.  Looking at the present helps us to deal with the person we are now and at the time that really matters.

Thom began at college in Winchester on Monday. He was feeling very apprehensive but had to admit, at the end of the day, to feeling quite grown up and realised that sixth form college is very different to school.  He seems to be as worried about his clothing as his academic ability but did admit that history seems very enjoyable and interesting. The week started slowly with a visit to the hospital for my knee class.  I felt that the exercise session was not long enough to do much good but I suppose it is really up to me to put in the extra effort to and extra exercise at home. 

Tuesday saw the first of four separate Church meetings – a Deanery Synod Standing Committee meeting at the Rural Dean’s rectory in Porton.  I ferried Nils our own rector to this meeting which largely dealt with issues surrounding the mission project and finances of the various parish churches.

 Wednesday saw me attending a Team Staff Meeting at Cynthia’s following Mid-Week Eucharist at St. John’s (which I did not attend this week due to other pressing matters).  I didn’t find it the most progressive of meetings but some of that might be due to feeling quite tired – I was certainly feeling tired by the time we had a Team Council Meeting at 7.30 pm where I attend as an observer until after my licensing.  I did go for a drink in the Lion’s Head with a couple of parishioners from outside of Winterslow to whom I had preached only a few weeks before and found this a very interesting and stimulating discussion.

On Thursday I had yet another meeting with the clergy/ministry team at an “away day” session in Whiteparish.  The events of that meeting are entirely confidential, as you would expect – but left me feeling quite drained – for the rest of the week.  The evening did pick up when I was the guest speaker at a meeting of Elias de Derham Freemasons’ Lodge in Salisbury when I delivered my lecture on the Book of Ruth.  There were several Grand Officers present including a delightful cleric from a church in Bournemouth who complimented me on such a good exegesis of this particular scripture and has promised to let me have some academic theological books for my continuing studies into Christian Ethics. The meeting was followed by an excellent dinner and I was given some flowers to take home to Sara.  Lovely people and a lovely evening after quite a hard and emotional day.

 On Friday I was back working at Alabare’s Drop-In Centre where it was relatively quiet.  One usual disruptive individual was on his best behaviour because of a court appearance.  I managed to chat to quite a number of service users and to a new student intern who is studying for a carer’s qualification.  However, I was still feeling somewhat under the weather and not “firing on all cylinders” today.

Saturday was a day when I was feeling most like doing nothing.  The weather has been unsettled for most of this week and so with a brighter day today I decided to mow both of the internal lawns and wash my car.  I think that the physical energy needed to do these things helped me mentally.  Sara and Mary went into Salisbury and then on to Southampton shopping; Thom was (ostensibly) doing some college work in his room (not as the case later proved) and I spent the afternoon watching the England v Australia One-day International cricket match from Cardiff.  A really wonderful game, with Carberry scoring 63 and England winning by 3 wickets.  Sara came home exhausted after a heavy day shopping amongst the crowds in Southampton and announced that she needed to go back tomorrow to complete her purchases.

I had a free Sunday again today – no services to conduct, participate in or preach at.  Sara, Mary and I went to St. Paul’s this morning and Mary has now joined their “Impact” Youth Group where she seems really happy and is looking forward to their Big Saturday Out when the youth go out into Salisbury and do good works – cleaning, tidying, gardening/weeding people’s gardens and the like. Really good mission work.  Sara and I enjoyed a great talk from Jon Langford, the young minister there, and heard a wonderful testimony from a member of the congregation who had been to New Wine and had tried her hand at some successful healing ministry with her plumber/heating engineer. I came away from St. Paul’s feeling uplifted – something I needed after feeling rather lethargic and in the doldrums for a good half of the week.  I am also looking forward to starting my studies again tomorrow.  This afternoon we all went into Southampton – Sara and Mary to resume their shopping and Thom and me to watch Southampton take on West Ham in the Premier League.  Not a brilliant game at all – a 0-0 draw which, at least, means another point and staying in mid-table.  I never really look forward to games when Sam Allardyce is the opposing teams manager – games against Bolton were equally dire.  The day, and week, ended up in the Lion’s Head with Richard who seems a little more positive now that Linda is almost settled in where she is going to go to do her curacy (still a big secret).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment