Monday, September 16, 2013

"The only way is ethics"

After last week's feeling slightly "down in the dumps" I felt a bit better today although that feeling of tiredness is still around and I think I need to get to bed much earlier.  This morning was another rush as I agreed to take Thom to Stockbridge to catch his bus for Winchester.  We left home late and I decided to take the faster main road to Stockbridge instead of going across country - big mistake.  A slow lorry on the main A30 had produced an enormous take-back of cars and it took a good five minutes to get out on to the main road at the Pheasant Corner.  to make matters worse the lorry was headed towards Winchester rand not Andover so we had to follow it all the way to Stockbridge crawling along at 35-40 mph.   As we pulled into Stockbridge Thom's bus was just indicating to pull away from the bus stop so I had to block its exit so that Thom could run and board it!  Another ten seconds and I would have had to have driven all the way to Winchester.  I came back with rolls and a newspaper from the shop in Stockbridge and had a more leisurely breakfast.  This afternoon I had to pay two trips to Salisbury Hospital - the first time to attend my "knee class" and after a short session at Sarum College library, I had to return to the hospital for a meeting of the Alabare Finance and Resources Committee held in their Finance Meeting Room.  The meeting went on longer than expected and I had to leave at 7 p.m. before it had finished so that I could drive over to Wilton for the fist of my sessions on Christian Ethics.  When I arrived I discovered that none of us could park our cars at the Diocesan Learning Centre because the combination lock for the car park had been changed and Stella had been given the old code!  A wonderful "Stella-like" start to the session.  We had a great meeting - so glad to be back studying  a fresh subject again.  There was an hilarious moment when I misheard something Stella said and gave the impression to her and the other students that I thought it was perfectly ethical, from a Christian perspective, for an adult to have sex with an animal! Stella retorted that they may have to take a re-look at my suitability for licensing!  There was much hooting of laughter and cracks, including animal noises during the session and I simply exploded with laughter.  I was actually saying that it wasn't ethical and that this was something I expected all Christians would agree upon (it not being ethical rather than it being acceptable).  It certainly lightened up the moment and the students have promised not to make animal noises as I go up the cathedral aisle!  An early night tonight - in bed by 10.30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment