Friday, November 22, 2013

An Unpredictable Day - but not quite as it was 50 years ago

Woke up to find that England had collapsed in the first innings against Australia.  Although Carberry had put on 40 runs, England were all out for the paltry total of 136 and Australia had embarked on their second innings.  I took Thom to the Wallops this morning and Sara went off to work.  There was no Ambassadors' business breakfast this week and I drove to Salisbury at around 11 a.m. to do my stint as chaplain.  My work there was cut short this morning when I received a phone call from Sara to tell me that Mary was not feeling well and wanted to be picked up from school.  I hastily packed up my things and first of all drove over to Waitrose to fill my car with fuel and to buy an Indian takeaway for dinner.  Whilst there I received a further call to say that Mary was feeling much better and didn't need to be picked up - we feel this had something to do with the fact that she was due to go to a party this evening!  I bumped into Sarah, the curate's wife, and we chatted in the car park for a short time about Andrew's time in the Sudan.  I decided not to return to Alabare Place but went back to Winterslow instead.  Sara's car was not at the pub, nor at home so I rang her to find that she was at the doctors' surgery following one of her patron having collapsed at dinner - an elderly lady of 89.  I returned with Sara to the pub and waited with her whilst the paramedics and ultimately the ambulance arrived.  My day, so far had become quite disjointed.  I did some work in the family room this afternoon and this evening Sara and I watched some programmes on Kennedy's assassination which occurred 50 years ago to this day.  It is quite interesting to go back and reflect upon my life over those 50 years - from a moment in time I can remember quite vividly up to the present time.

No comments:

Post a Comment