Thursday, May 31, 2012

Down the line to Swindon

The weather has certainly turned cooler today.  Sara attended to her Morning Star duties this morning and I spent an hour and a half at The Rectory going over my monthly training review with Nils and setting objectives for next month.  A nice relaxed atmosphere in The Rectory after yesterday's frantic round of meetings. I passed all the children in the school outside in the playground enjoying their bring and share Jubilee Lunch with red and white Union Flag bunting and flags as well as the giant crown which they have made.  Lots of noise and enjoyment I think.  Sara and I enjoyed a light lunch of grilled salmon, new potatoes and salad and I did a little bit of gardening down the bottom of the garden where I intended to have my Chinese/Oriental garden.  I need to clear away all the nettles and weeds and then cut back some of the bushes and trees to make a clear but shaded area for my gravel based Chinese garden.  I left home at around 3.30 p.m. to drive up to Swindon to attend the Wiltshire Masters' Lodge Committee Meeting and meeting.  Tonight we were treated to recitations of the Emulation Lectures in the First and Second Degrees performed by Berkshire Provincial Stewards Lodge. As Junior Warden I had to be on my toes but I think we managed okay.  a lovely evening with good company including a steam locomotive engineer from the old Great Western Railway Swindon Works who used to help design locomotives and test their effectiveness. He was also parachuted into Aden during the crisis in 1959.  It's really interesting talking to retired people at these festive meals after the meeting as many have led such active and interesting lives.  Also, this evening, Sara did a profitable Jamie at Home party at Mandy's in Pitton and Tom gave his Duke of Edinburgh Award presentation at his school.  I came home tonight to bird blackbird feathers all over the kitchen - Leo, who has been tormented day after day by a couple of blackbirds in the garden - including being dive-bombed by them - has finally got his fatal revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment