Friday, June 01, 2012

Up Salisbury Cathedral Tower


I woke up this morning to heavy fog.  An early start as I attended Ambassadors' Business Breakfast Club's AGM at the Grasmere House Hotel and then had to take my car into the Mercedes Garage for repairs to its fuel tank.  I was given a wonderful E-Class 250 as a courtesy car which was a dream to drive although slightly unsettling when it kept cutting out the engine whenever I stopped at traffic lights or was stopped in traffic generally.  This is all part of the eco-culture of the new Mercedes cars.  I arrived back home briefly after some banking and shopping at Staples for some printer paper, and picked up Mary (whose school is having a teachers' training day) to bring her back into Salisbury for lunch and to take her up the Salisbury Cathedral tower.  We parked the car at Petersfinger Park & Ride and went to Burger King for lunch.  We arrived in good time for our 2.15 p.m. tour of the tower.  There were only four of us, myself, Mary and a couple from Melbourne, Australia.   We were led by tower guide Leslie Smith, whom I am sure I have met/seen before, and our tour lasted just under two and a quarter hours.  He was an excellent guide and gave us plenty of opportunity to ask questions and he explained, in great detail, the craft of the medieval woodcutters.  We learned where the term "top dog" and "underdog" came from - the cutting of large tree trunks to make stanchions in a pit - the overseer being on top and the underdog being the the pit.  We were fortunate enough to be in the bell chamber when the 4 o'clock was struck and I managed to get the whole process on video.  A quiet evening in tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment