Monday, December 09, 2013

A day in Grimsby and Cleethorpes


Woke up at 6 a.m. this morning, realised that I was in Grimsby and promptly went back to sleep.  I awoke again at 8.15 a.m. and made tea for Mum and me.  After a lovely breakfast of smoked haddock and poached egg I drove into Cleethorpes planning to buy 5lbs of sausages from Petit's only to find that the shop was closed!  I bought a birthday card for my sister Heather, wrote it and posted it together with other cards and letters at the Cleethorpes Post Office.  From there I drove to Auntie Mim's via the other Michael Barratt's (my cousin) dropping in a card.  Mim was her usual lovely self and we passed a very pleasant hour or so chatting about family matters and she kindly wrote something in my licensing book which Sara is compiling.  After a very light lunch of ham rolls, Mum accompanied me as I drove around Grimsby delivering some more Christmas cards. We stopped off at the Post Office on Convamore Road for Mum to pick up her pension money and I was dismayed to see that St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church was closed and dilapidated.  Tonight I returned to Michael's to pick up a family heirloom - a wonderful canteen of cutlery which had been a wedding gift to Michael and Leone from his Uncle Jack (my grandfather's elder brother).  He was anxious that it should pass to the next generation and then on to Thom.  It is about 100 years old.  Tonight, also, I took Mum to the Trawlerman pub in Cleethorpes for one of their excellent £3.99 carveries - lovely turkey and beef that melted in the mouth.  It was then back to Carr Lane to watch the Royal Variety Show.   

No comments:

Post a Comment