Sunday, December 22, 2013

Autumn Days

Massive apologies to all you regular readers of this blog.  Unfortunately, ever since my return from Grimsby and Cleethorpes I have been feeling somewhat "under the weather" - not helped by the appalling weather which we have been having recently.  Following my return we celebrated Mary's 13th birthday with her and Sara going to a wonderful performance of The Nutcracker ballet at Andover.  She also had three friends staying over - all sleeping together in the lounge - just think of it - four teenage girls in one massive sleepover!  The house looked as though we had had a rave!  Things have been hectic with trying to balance the writing of hundreds of Christmas cards, reading and writing theological essays, preparing and delivering a sermon at West Grimstead and also preparing and leading the Christmas Carol service at Alabare Place - a great success by all accounts - the actual service lasting about 30 minutes with mince pies etc. afterwards.  Sara and I also joined the rest of the Clarendon Team ministers for a really enjoyable Christmas lunch at the Milford Hall hotel in Salisbury.  I arrived for the lunch having spent the morning at Alabare's new headquarters on Churchfields Estate where the Bishop of Salisbury blessed the building.  I was truly bowled over by the wonderful facilities including a Quiet room and resources for the chaplains which I can use if I wish - I might certainly do so too.  Every day it seems we've had high winds and torrential rain.  A trip to West Dean with our curate, Andrew, to attend a house group meeting ended up as a major expedition after we encountered a massive tree across the road in Tytherley Road.  This required a large detour around West Tytherley.  We had a good meeting in the end and it was a wonderful opportunity to observe somebody else leading a house group.  During this period I also ventured up to Guildford to assist a friend/client with an appeal against employment sanctions brought against him.  This meant two train journeys each way and when we arrived at the venue for the appeal it was to discover that the person chairing the appeal was not available due to his wife's ill-health.  This appeal will now be postponed until January 7th when I will go up to Guildford again.  As I write this Thom and I have been to watch the Southampton v. Tottenham Hotspur game which ended in a 2-3 defeat for the Saints but still leaves them in 9th spot in the English Premier League.  This evening Thom and I watched the all important New Orleans Saints v. Carolina Panthers.  What an exciting game that proved to be with the Panthers winning by a touchdown in the last 56 seconds of the game to win 13-17!  An amazing win which has secured them a place in the Super Bowl Play-Offs. Thom was really excited although didn't see the final touchdown as he had walked out for a comfort break thinking that the game was all over with a new Orleans win!   Well there has been much going on and again I am sorry for all of you (and in particular you Andy Haylor (our friend at St. Mary's) as I know that you enjoy the blog and I did promise to give you a mention!  I will do my best to keep you all up to date.  I also have 2 assignments to complete for my University course.  I just need to get going and feel incentivised!  I think my photograph encapsulates the weather well - a wet miserable autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment