Monday, December 23, 2013

Bad Storm and Flooding

What an incredibly appalling day, weather-wise, today.  The day started wet and windy and didn't get any better - in fact this evening we experienced gusts of wind at 70 mph which took out one of our fence panels behind the shed but, mercifully, left everything else intact.  The day was gloomy and I spent the morning in the office working exclusively on a tribunal case for a client - writing letters and emails connected with it and reading the pleadings from the other side.  Nothing much new and pretty much as expected.  The children spent the day either in their rooms or watching TV and none of us ventured out until this evening when, with good intentions, I set off to attend the carol service at West Grimstead Parish Church (I had promised the congregation that I would pop in when I preached there last week).  To start with the journey was fine - some small pieces of debris from the forest trees on the road - but just after I turned off at East Grimstead I was confronted by what I can only describe as a river - being unable to turn round I slowly drove through what must have been a foot of water.  I made a note not to return that way.  I actually arrived at West Grimstead but found the road under the railway bridge had been closed by the police - there must have been about four feet of water under the bridge.  This necessitated in me having the turn round and go back to Winterslow via Farley - the alternative route would have been through West Dean which would have meant me having to drive through the "river" again and I had heard on the radio that the railway was badly flooded there too - so much so that no trains were running between Romsey and Salisbury.  I arrived back home at around 7.15 p.m. and decided I was staying in.  The wind and rain pelted the house all evening and until about 3 a.m.  It does leave one feeling incredibly miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment