Monday, October 07, 2013

Grappling with Natural Law Ethics

I hope to revert to daily blogs again and try to be a bit more organised during my day.  I made a start on clearing the pile of papers on my desk today and also wrote a few thank you notes to people who had so kindly come down to Salisbury from long distances to witness my admission and licensing in the cathedral last week.  I have been overwhelmed with the love and support of so many people who made the effort to give up their Saturday to make it a special day for me - something I will not forget.  However, it is now back to the mundane for a while - a few weeks at least until we go away on holiday. Sara stayed at home with me for most of the day too - ironing and doing other domestic chores.  We spent some time together this morning in the kitchen washing up - a good opportunity to chat and catch up on news.  I drove into Andover this afternoon to take some rubbish to the tip (mainly cardboard from the packaging for the new bed) as well as pay a cheque into the bank.  On the way back I stopped off at Nether Wallop and waited for Thom's bus.  He was really tired when I picked him up - he had had a heavy day of tutorials and lectures and this on top of a late night last night watching the Panthers' defeat in Phoenix. We ate roast chicken and roast potatoes for a snack meal tonight as I had to rush out for my two-hour seminar on Christian Ethics at Sarum College.  Tonight we grappled with ancient classical ethics and in particular the theory of natural law ethics propounded by St. Thomas Aquinas.  Heavy stuff!  Came home to find the hall stripped of paintings and furniture (thank goodness we have got rid of the old heavy piano) as Peter and Steve are here tomorrow to take down the old ceiling (which has been water damaged) and replace it with a new smooth one.  It will mean chaos for a couple of days.  It is my turn to take Thom to Nether Wallop tomorrow early and I will then attend Morning Office with Nils at All Saints.  I have a lunchtime appointment with Ashley in Westbury to help him put together a presentation for one of his modules (one I have already done). It will be good to get him finished with last year's modules before Easter so he can be admitted and licensed ahead
of next October.

No comments:

Post a Comment