Monday, October 21, 2013

Winchester

The weather remains warm but very wet.  I took Thom to Nether Wallop as usually in very wet conditions. Thom had forgotten to ask for any money for his lunch this morning and when he asked me just before he boarded the bus I had to tell him that as I had come out without my wallet I couldn't give him anything.  Fortunately we are going into Winchester later this morning and could take him some emergency money.  The wind was blustery and instead of hoisting the White Ensign to commemorate the Battle of Trafalgar as I would normally have done, I actually dismantled the flag pole to protect it - in fact it will probably remain dismantled for a couple of weeks.  Later this morning Sara and I drove into Winchester to meet up with an old friend of Sara's Mum and her husband who is a lay minister in Winchester Diocese. We met in the coffee shop of C&H Fabrics in the High Street for morning coffee and then went on to the Refectory by the Cathedral for lunch.  I had an excellent vegetable curry with Sara enjoying some excellent salmon fishcakes.  Although the refectory isn't quite as ambient as the one in Salisbury the food is considerably cheaper and more extensive.  We chatted about many things connected with the family and, not surprising as two lay ministers inn ecclesiastical setting, about our ministries and church in general. After lunch we went our separate ways and Sara and I visited the City Museum and enjoyed looking at the Roman exhibits.  We also visited Waterstones and bought some guides to Marrakech for our forthcoming trip.  We picked up Thom after college and returned to Winterslow.  This evening I attended the sixth of my sessions for the Christian Ethics module and  we spent the evening looking at Utilitarianism or ethics based on doing what is better for the greater number of people rather than on Christian principles and considering whether utilitarian principles can ever be applied.  Quite heavy stuff which I will need to read further in the text books.  I need to start thinking about planning my two assignments for this module which, I have to confess, I haven't found easy.  Back home, Sara and I talked to David and Andrea in the USA via Skype about family news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment