Friday, October 11, 2013

We're going to Africa!

Another fully packed day today.  Up early to take Thom to Nether Wallop to catch his bus to Winchester and then back home for breakfast.  However, before breakfast Sara and I worked together to get a hotel booked and flights arranged to go out to Marrakech for a few days so we could use up some time-limited points we had earned when we bought our time share apartment in the Bahamas.  I have wanted to go to Marrakech for decades when I discovered it was a favourite haunt of Winston Churchill where he painted many pictures.  Recently Sara and the children saw a Jamie Oliver programme from there and fell in love with the idea of eating some of the Moroccan dishes displayed.  Nuria at Sheaton Hotel Group was fantastic in helping us get two rooms in a Five-Star hotel in a smart part of the city.  We probably won't find the time to visit the Atlas Mountains but we will certainly see them.  Really excited about going.  We've also managed to get cheap flights from Bristol Airport too so this is a real bonus after a really busy year.  Later this morning I did my 3-hour stint at Alabare Drop-In centre and was busy the whole time talking to quite a few of the homeless who use the centre.  They are now used to me being there and want to chat.  In particular I was able to chat with a newcomer who just wanted to chat about his problems and when I left was using Alabare's facilities to sort out some of the problems he faces as I had suggested.  He gave me a lovely smile and a wave as I left - that was such a rewarding moment. From the Drop-In Centre I went to the blessing and dedication of a new Veteran's Home for ex-servicemen in Salisbury and was asked, as the Alabare's Volunteer Chaplain, to say the Alabare prayer during the service.  I had tea and biscuits afterwards  and spoke to some prospective candidates for chaplaincy who wanted to know a bit more about the service.  I left before the fuller presentation and wine and nibbles as I had to get back to Winterslow to attend a special Parish Council meeting to discuss the formation of a Neighbourhood Plan with Firsdown.   The meeting finished at 9 p.m. and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV with Sara and a bottle of Doombar.  A full and satisfying day - not to mention exciting with the thought of visiting the African continent again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment