Sunday, January 26, 2014

Speaking for my lunch at St. Mark's

It wasn't easy to get up this morning after having been up until about 1.30 a.m.  At least I didn't have to take any services in the Team today and was not preaching anywhere else although I had been asked to speak at a lunch at St. Mark's in support of Alabare.  Yet again it was pouring with rain.  It seems that global warming is responsible for the increase of water vapour in the atmosphere which again acts as a greenhouse gas.  This means that there is then more water vapour to produce more rain with consequential flooding.  We had noticed yesterday on our return from Southampton how badly flooded were the roads. I attended the morning Eucharist service at St. Mark's and was surprised to see so many people I knew - quite a number from Alabare who worship there on a regular basis.  The congregation numbered about 150 and I was introduced to the vicar, Jim, by Mary who works with me at Alabare Place.  A very informal type of service - no robes - and the Communion was administered by the laity - the vicar merely consecrated the elements. Marvellous preaching from Morris Munns a Baptist minister who now officiates at St. Mark's.  I also had a long chat with their lay minister who was licensed at the same time as me in the cathedral in September.  We ended the service with a hymn written by Morris about running the race etc. set to Vangelis's soundtrack for Chariots of Fire!  It really worked well and we all sang with joyous gusto. Following coffee, the church was transformed into a giant restaurant and we enjoyed a sumptuous "bring and share" meal during which the Alabare Senior Chaplain, I and other speakers from Alabare spoke  about our work for the charity. I didn't actually leave St. Mark's until 2.30 p.m.  Thom had wanted to do some more filming at Dean Station this afternoon but called it off when the heavens opened and yet more rain fell.  As it happened it did clear up but nobody was really in the mood to spend a couple of hours at Dean - besides there is emergency engineering works on the line today.

No comments:

Post a Comment