Saturday, January 30, 2010

Free at Last? Saints march onwards

My first full day of freedom - no more trips to the Dorking office or early morning trips to London. Sara and I chose to have a bit of a lazy morning though, as usual, Sara had to take Mary into Salisbury for her dance lessons. Tom and I spent a leisurely morning doing not much at all. I caught up with some emails and online banking between making and drinking coffee. Sara arrived back before Tom and I were ready to go to Southampton. Tom was ambivalent about going to the game at St. Mary's but I eventually persuaded him to come with me. We arrived in Southampton quite a bit later than normal but there was little traffic and we easily got a parking spot at our usual College Street site. We visited our usual chippie in St. Mary's Street and arrived at the Stadium at 2.30 p.m. Nikki and Jeff greeted us with congratulations at my retirement and promised to come along to my retirement do at The Boathouse on Tuesday. Andy (on my left) cracked a few jokes about my retirement with quips such as "Shall I ask the steward to get you a blanket" and "I guess we'll have to get a chair lift put in for you to get to your season ticket seat". The last laugh will be on me if I get concessions before him. He and his family and friends quite happily tucked into my fruit sweets too. I guess I will have to take Werther's Originals next game! The first half of the game against Stockport County was diabolical. Saints were truly awful - poor passing, poor shape, losing possession all the time. The only saving grace being that Stockport were worse. The game improved slightly at the beginning of the second half but it wasn't until Papa Weigo came on that the pace accelerated and Lambert scored in the 63rd minute followed 6 minutes later by a goal from Papa himself. Fortunately Saints were able to hold onto this scoreline until the of the match. Not a brilliant game by any means but the result left Saints in 11th position in the table - the highest they've been all season. They are, tonight, five places of the playoffs but this equates to 13 points which is still a big gap to plug. The minus 10 is certainly having its effect. Once the kids were in bed, Sara sat down and watched Premonition, a film starring Sandra Bullock, which was slated by all the critics. Nevertheless we enjoyed it - especially whilst drinking a bottle of very nice vintage pink cava!

No comments:

Post a Comment