Friday, January 29, 2010

Goodbye!

My very last day at work for my company in Dorking! This, of course, necessitated a trip to Tesco's in Leatherhead in order to buy the compulsory leaving cakes for the remaining staff. As a result I didn't actually get in until after 10 a.m. At 11.30 a.m. the staff gathered round my desk for the also customary farewell presentation. My boss gave a really lovely speech followed by the presentation of a company golfing kit and lovely leather document case with a business card for my consultancy company inserted - very thoughtful indeed! I noticed a bit of a quaver in her voice and it is with a touch of sadness that I leave after twenty years of service. I responded with an impromptu speech and some anecdotes which seemed to go down well. I nearly faltered at one point when I recalled how the joining of the company had resulted in such a change in my life - meeting Sara and having a real family of my own. I thanked all for their encouragement and support over the years. The sadness is abated, however, by the knowledge that those left behind are facing some really tough challenges in the year ahead and I am not sorry to be able to step aside from those. I have my own challenges ahead which I look forward to. A group of about ten of us had a final lunch together in the Atrium Restaurant before I returned to the office to finalise all my papers, hand over my laptop and mobile phone after sending a goodbye email to all my colleagues and clients "That's All Folks" it read! I left early and drove back to Salisbury to join Salisbury office colleagues saying farewell to two others leaving today. Again I was greeted with some very unexpected accolades and envy, also, at being able to walk away! Tonight I attended a supper function at Maxime's for church group leaders to introduce us to the "Fully Alive" Lent course work with the author present. A delightful evening amongst such good Christian friends. With the changes of the day, the burden of work being lifted and the friendship and fellowship of those present I really did feel "Fully Alive". God's grace is so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment