Sunday, November 22, 2009

Celebration for Tim Elliott

We (and most of the village) was awoken this morning at around 4 a.m. by an immense clap of thunder which, we later discovered, knocked out some of the electricity supply to the village. The wind was howling and there was a torrential hail storm. I was convinced that the village was being subjected to a tornado. The flag pole was waving around quite dramatically but never snapped or bent over - such was the secure way Steve had erected it. Today's service at church was Morning Worship conducted by Jane Dunlop. A nice easy service with a few well known, though traditional, hymns and an interesting sermon on Christ the King. It transpired that Jane had met Emperor Haile Salasse I and I had met his son, Emperor Amha Salassie I during a visit to Brighton in the 1980s. A small world. Richard delivered some good intercessions too. We had an early lunch of roast pork with all the trimmings and then went across to the Village hall for Tim Elliott's Memorial Service. It was incredibly well attended - the first time I've known there to be insufficient car parking spaces at the Village Hall for an event. It was a lovely service with all the songs amongst my favourites. This evening I wrote my night sky article for the magazine before having another early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment