Saturday, November 14, 2009

Down the pub!

What a great way to start a Saturday - breakfast in the village pub! We had our monthly Men's Breakfast meeting today and Roger, one of our members and the new landlord of the Lord Nelson, hosted the event. Roger has started on a new career in pub management following his retirement from the broadcasting industry and we discussed career changes and early retirement as a general topic. After the formal meeting, Roger took us on a tour iof his cellar. Fascinating to see how much work is necessary to bring good beer up to the pump for service to the customer. He has two real ales on draft which is good. Sara took Mary into the city for a birthday celebration at a pottery/craft centre and Tom and I stayed at home. I started work on the presentation I am to give to the local Probus Group next Friday. The topic is the Atlantic Ferry, - the story of the transatlantic liners - and I made some progress but am finding it difficult to get reasonable photographs of the liners download into PowerPoint. As we had little food in the house (Sara was going to do a big shop at Tesco's) I returned to the Lord Nelson with Tom and we had an excellent pub lunch - chili con-carne. I carried on with the presentatino this afternoon but felt so tired that I took myself off to bed for a short nap at around 3.30 p.m. not waking until 6 p.m. It has been quite a stressful week at work and I guess it is still a bit of a shock to the system to be back in the cold wet UK after the heat of the Bahamas. Tomorrow I will be watching Tom play football at Barry's Field followed by a trip to Southampton to, hopefully, see Southampton rise out of the relegation zone in League 1. A win tomorrow against Brighton will assure them of that. The draw for next round of the Johnston's Paint Trophy sees the Saints at home to Norwich. I am optimistic of another home win against this side. This should leave us with an easier opponent in the Regional Final (Hereford or MK Dons). Then it would be Wembley (against Leeds?)

No comments:

Post a Comment