Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Bert's Birthday

Another early dark start to get to Dorking in time for a meeting. The weather continues to be miserable with torrential rain. I still hoisted the Norfolk flag to mark what would have been the 110th birthday of my favourite grandparent, my mother's father, Hubert Hunter ("Bert") , a lovely down to earth Norfolkman. God bless your life Grandad - you gave so much fun and loved life to the full. The church he served so well for many years is pictured.Your simple and kind ways are a beacon. I had my monthly one-to-one with my manager this afternoon. Everything seems to be changing within the Company - watch this space. I left the office early at 4 p.m. to get back to Salisbury for a Sarum Lodge meeting at 6.30 p.m. The rain going back to Salisbury was torrential with massive flooding causing the M25 to be semi-closed around the Thorpe Interchange. This meant taking the A3 through Guildford where the Wooden Bridge was jammed with traffic. An absolute nightmare of a journey with the added stress of knowing that I was the Acting Director of Ceremonies for the most important meeting of the year - our Christmas Boscombe Meeting at which we were to initiate my own candidate, Lee. It was therefore essential that I got back in time. I did! I parked at the Crane Street car park at 6.22 p.m. precisely and rushed into the Masonic Centre and got changed. I needn't have worried, the ceremony was excellently executed by all the brethren and we had a wonderful night. We were entertained with carols sung by the Amesbury Parish Church Choir in their magnificent red robes and beautiful singing. We ate a traditional turkey dinner and were provided with wine at no extra cost. To top the evening, the Worshipful Master won the £800 cash box! Lee thoroughly enjoyed the evening and felt very warmly welcomed into the Lodge. H described the evening as "magic". I think we do very well with such mall resources. I am sure he will be a great asset and it will be good if he can encourage some new younger members in. By contrast, when I got home I found that Sara's evening had not gone so well. Her cosmetics party, whilst being a social hit, was a financially disastrous miss. She keeps saying she will give up but I am not holding my breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment