Sunday, December 13, 2009

Candles

I clearly hadn't slept very well last night as I awoke with a terrible neck ache. It was 8 a.m. when I got up, made tea and showered. Sara and the kids decided not to go to church this morning- Tom had a football match to play at 10.30 a.m. and Mary had her two friends still sleeping over. I went off to church on my own to another excellent Praise Service conducted by Linda. We lit the third advent candle. The theme this week was about the joy of living a life where we share and give away our unnecessary possessions with a reading from Philippians and Luke. I then went up to Barry's Fields to watch Tom and his U13s team take on Dinton. They managed a 9-0 win with Tom scoring a Dan Harding style goal (acute angle into the goal from the side) and at least two assists. After returning home with one quite muddy boy I then washed the car before a lunch, prepared by Sara, of beef stew and dumplings. The meat, from Tesco's was very poor and Sara fully intends to complain. I have suggested she ought to buy her meat from Waitrose where you can, even if a little more expensive, guarantee to get good fresh and tender cuts of meat. This afternoon was spent writing out Christmas cards but unfortunately the cartridge for the printer has run out of black ink so I had to resort to printing our Annual Newsletter in dark blue. I will need to go to Staples tomorrow and get a new cartridge - what a bind. Tonight I went to a lovely Taizi Service at St. Peter's, Pitton. The church was lit solely by candles - hundreds of them - and it made you realise how many must have been needed to light evening functions before the days of gas and electricity. How lucky we are. After the service refreshments in the form of a buffet with wine were served - all consumed in candlelight. Arriving home at 7.30 p.m. I wrote more cards before going to All Saints to pick up Tom and Samuel who had been engaged in Rockface social event which seemed to have consisted of two hours of volleyball over the pews! A nice new versatile use for these controversial pieces of ecclesiastical furniture! After having dropped Samuel back at his house, I returned home to write out some more cards. I had only just started, and the winner of X-Factor had just been announced - Joe Somebody - when we had a total power cut which plunged us all into darkness. I was able to struggle on using the light of my laptop but we were without power for about half an hour and once more candles came to be used - for the third time today! Another long day tomorrow with a trip to Brighton and an overnight stay in Hove.

No comments:

Post a Comment