Sunday, December 06, 2009

Stuck in the Mud

The rain was torrential again last night with the wind also howling around the house and the rain hitting our bedroom window heavily. As Sara wasn't quite ready to leave on time, Tom and I went to church ahead of her and parked up at Glebe Farm opposite the church. The service was conducted by Elizabeth and it was quite sobering to think that it is already the Second Sunday in Advent. Sara and Tom returned home before me to get the presents and cards ready to take over to Chichester where we were meeting the Russells for lunch. When I got back to my car I found that the ground had been so thoroughly soaked that I was stuck quite deeply in the mud. I tried to get the car out but it only sank lower. I rang the car helpline and the RAC were promised me within the hour but this would have meant a great delay in getting to Chichester. After a little while I was able to attract the attention of the occupier of the cottage and he was able to tow me on to firm ground using his 4x4 wagon and a good firm tow rope from his wife. I was soon on my way to Chichester and actually overtook Sara on the A27 near Emsworth. We met the Russells at Pizza Hut and spent about three hours with them over lunch exchanging news and views. Tonight, Richard and I met down at the Lion's Head for a couple of pints. A very pleasant way to spend a most enjoyable weekend (apart from the rain and mud!)

No comments:

Post a Comment