Friday, December 11, 2009

Office Christmas Lunch

Another early start for Surrey this morning. Before leaving this morning I hoisted the Lincolnshire flag to commemorate my sister's 47th birthday. Today it was announced to my colleagues at work that I would be retiring on 31st January 2010 as following the decision to transfer some of my work from the Legal Department to the Human Resources Dept. I had taken the opportunity to take a retirement package. This has been in the process of negotiation for some weeks now and it was good to get it out into the open. The reaction from my colleagues was mixed but the general view was that they were pleased for me as I could leave on favourable terms which are likely to change for the worse by the end of next year. It seemed the major concern was how Sara was going to cope with having me being at home! It was in the context of this news that we went to Frascati's at Mickleham for our departmental Christmas lunch. This year the food and the service were faultless. I had prawn and egg mayonnaise starter, chicken in a creamy sauce with prawns and creme caramel. My secret Santa present was a half Stilton cheese and a small bottle of port. Somebody obviously knows that I like the finer things in life. Unfortunately I had to leave before the others to take part in a telephone conference. Having arrived back at my desk I attempted to log on to my emails in order to get the conferencing details and found that Microsoft Outlook was not working and I was unable to get the details to enable me to join the call. Eventually I gave up and after Anthony had arrived back from the lunch we set out for home. Anthony journeyed with me all the way home where, after a mug of tea, Sara took him in to Salisbury as she was attending an HR Christmas function at a bar/nightclub called Mortimers in Fisherton Street. She returned home around 10.30 say that the meal had been awful and the loud music had made it almost impossible to enjoy any conversation. Both of us felt quite tired after a long day and went to bed, uncharacteristically, before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment