Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Saints Go Marching In (Just!)

I awoke very early this morning in Hove and after a wash and breakfast of tea and toast, set off along the south coast for Salisbury where I was working today. The journey was fine until I reached Southampton where the M27 was totally clogged up with shear weight of traffic and it took me about 40 minutes to by-pass the city from the Hamble junction to the M3 junction. I eventually got into Salisbury at 9.30 a.m. to find it difficult to park because it was market day. Having left my office pass in the car, I then found I couldn't get into the office building because numerous electronic security gates had been fitted all over the ground floor. I had to provide detailed identity details to those behind reception who know me well. Eventually I got into the Claims Department where I spent the rest of the day working on a new tribunal claim and discussing some the claims cases. I also speculated the result of tonight's football match with Derek, a Norwich City season ticket holder. This evening I returned to Southampton with Tom and his schoolfriend John to watch Saints take on Norwich in the Johnston's Paint Trophy Regional Semi-Final. Saints started in fine form and went into the lead with an strange goal from Papa Weigo but, unfortunately, before half time Norwich equalised and we were all square during the break. When Norwich came out in the second half they certainly looked the stronger team and Saints seemed to struggle. Another goal by Norwich seemed to seal the fate of the South Coast team and despite a number of end to end battles it looked, for all intents and purposes, to be all over for Alan Pardew's men. Many Saints fans left at this stage, their dreams of a trip to Wembley seemingly dashed. However, well into extra time (in fact with only a minute to go) there was a controversial altercation between Antonio and Holt and a free kick in Saints' favour was given. This result in a rush for goal and Dan Harding scored just four seconds before the final whistle went. It was now down to penalties. The Saints fans were in uproar and many who had left the stadium were trying to get back in! Penalty after penalty was scored and if one team missed one the other team did likewise. It looked as though we were likely to be stuck at St. Mary's for some time. Then the breakthrough, Bialowsksi saved a Norwich strike and Wayne Thomas then hit the net - the final score after penalties being Saints 8, Norwich 7. What a match, what an evening. Southampton will now meet MK Dons in the Regional Final and if they succeed there will face either Leeds United or Carlisle United at Wembley!

No comments:

Post a Comment