Saturday, August 25, 2012

A murderous day/and seeing an old friend after 36 years

The beginning of an extremely busy weekend.  I took the Park and Ride bus into Salisbury this morning and was extremely annoyed when the bus driver, having seen me park and run to catch the bus calmly drove off (with no passengers on board!).  I had to wait another 20 minutes for the next one. I arrived at the Market Place just in time to help out on the Morning Star bric-a-brac stall until 10 a.m. when I met my old Uni friend, Andy Dodd, who had studied law with me and whom I hadn't seen for over 36 years!  We had coffee together at Reeve's. After graduating he worked for a private firm of solicitors before joining the Crown Prosecution Service and is now working three days for them in Barrow-in-Furness as well as running a Baptist chapel and retreat in the Lake District after having become ordained as a Baptist minister. We were both members of the Christian Union in Liverpool and he is now moving his daughter Beth into accommodation in Salisbury where she is about to take up a post as a lecturer at Sarum College where I am now also studying.  What a small world.  It was great to see him and in the hour we had managed to bring each other up to speed on what has happened to us over the past 36 years!  He is delighted that I am now also training for church ministry and we have promised to keep in regular contact.  I suggested that he and his wife Kath, who is also a Baptist minister, come and stay with us when they are next down in Salisbury.  After this wonderful encounter, I managed to get on the next bus back to the Park and Ride car park and home for 11.30 a.m.  Thom and I set off for Southampton at around 12.15 arriving at our private car park at 1 p.m.  We took our usual saunter down to the St. Mary's chippie for lunch and then to st. Mary's Stadium for Saints' first Premier League game for seven years.  We lost 0-2 against Wigan.  I don't feel like dwelling on it - we simply are not yet a Premier League team and our next match is at home against Manchester United.  Tonight we are second from bottom of the table!  Some good news though, today.  Hampshire won the final of the T20 competition at Cardiff and are the champions for the second time in three years.  Tonight, Sara and I hosted another of our murder mystery parties with Linda M, Bella T, and Duncan and Emma McDonald as our guests (see picture).  Sara was the murderer as usual.  A great fun evening. Good food (curry), beer and wine and company.  Another packed day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment