Sunday, August 26, 2012

Trophy Sunday

We didn't get to bed very early last night - about 1.30 a.m. - and this morning I was preaching at East Grimstead Church!  Richard called round at 9 a.m. to go through my sermon/talk as he is going to help me act out a scene from Ephesians "putting on the armour of God" only we shall be using cricket gear!  After this dress rehearsal I had got myself ready with a smart suit and tie and picked Richard up to drive the five miles to East Grimstead - a lovely little church by the old Southampton/Salisbury Canal.  The service went well (being led by Nils) and I gave my eight minute talk/demonstration with all the pads, helmet and other cricketing gear available.  I was disappointed that there were only four members of the congregation (apart from Richard) - seven of us in total.  I had thought hard about the sermon and will keep it for future use with a larger wider aged congregation.  This afternoon we had our Single Wicket Competition which I had organised as a parish activity.  We had about 30 people turn up with 20 of those playing.  That meant, effectively a 40 over match with each player facing two overs (one over per innings).  The trophy, which I had donated, went to one of our youngest players, Abigail, who was thrilled to bits to get the trophy.  I was really tired by teatime but was persuaded by Thom  to join the Cooks to make up a team at the Lion's Head for the pub quiz.  True to form we won again - we scored 108 points with second place scoring 97.  Not sure how we did it as I think we were all so tired and I certainly did not feel very bright.  Another lovely day though and so pleased that the single wicket cricket competition went so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment