Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of Lent and for me the abstinence of chocolate until Easter Day. The day didn't start too well with Sara asking me at 7.30 a.m. to print off a passport photograph of Tom for his forthcoming school trip to Normandy. As Tom needs to catch the 8.05 a.m. bus for school this gave me 35 minutes to boot up the computer, find the passport photo from amongst my extensive collection of pictures, size the photo and print it on photographic paper. I got so far with this task before the printer jammed and I had to extract the paper using pliers from the garage. After several attempts I simply gave up and Sara wrote a note to school. I suggested that she and Tom visit a photographic booth at the post office or a supermarket. Although late leaving for the office I did manage to secure a car parking space. After about an hour of checking emails and giving advice to our HR policy team I set off for the dentist. I had a filling in one of my upper molars, after an injection, and then visited the hygienist which was actually a less pleasurable experience. The hygienist, Lily, discovered a small hole in one of my other molars and I found myself having to book another appointment with the dentist to have that one filled in two week's time. The rest of the day was taken with meetings and email traffic. I returned home at 5.30 p.m. in time to take Tom to his football practice at Sarum Airfield. Sara would need to collect him as there was no one he could go back with tonight as I went off to West Grimstead church for the Ash Wednesday liturgy. The service was taken by Nils and Elizabeth with Elizabeth giving the gospel reading and sermon and I was called upon to give the Old Testament Reading - Isaiah 58 1-12 - quite a long reading too! Nils placed the sign of the cross on our foreheads with a mixture of ash (taken from last year's palm crosses) and anointing oil (see illustration above). Back home I completed my part of my monthly report for work and wrote this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment