Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Whatever Happened...?


At least it had stopped snowing when I awoke this morning. Sara and I went down to the village hall to retrieve Sara's car so I could take Emily the Cat into the vets in Salisbury and work in the office there. Unfortunately her car appeared to be stuck in the snow which, due to the low temperatures last night, had turned the half-melted snow to compacted ice in the car park. With the help of several other villagers we attempted to push it up the incline on to the road. After three attempts involving driving around the car park to get up speed I eventually managed to get the car up onto the road but in the wrong direction. Driving up to the bottom of Weston Lane I attempted to turn it aound again but once more became stuck. Klynn and Phil were waiting at the bus stop and helped me turn round into the right direction. Returning to the village hall, Maggie told me that she had just heard that a lorry had jack-knifed on the A30 at the Firsdown Junction and I was forced to take the more dangerous route through Pitton. It was a very slow and icy journey but I did manage to deliver Emily to the vets at 9.20 a.m. some one hour late. Leaving her in the capable hands of the vet, I drove on in to Salisbury and worked in the HR Dept. at Sara's desk for the rest of the day until it was time to pick up Emily and take us back home. Emily had made a complete recovery from her operation and was surprisingly bright and alert despite having had a general anaesthetic. It was a relief to get her home as the temperature was already dropping swiftly and more snow is predicted overnight. During a very short lunch break I had gone into the city centre and bought a DVD Box Collection of the complete "Likely Lads" and "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads" at a ridiculously cheap price of £15 (six discs!). After a supper of fish and chips, Sara and I watched the whole of Series 1-3 (those that survive from the BBC archives) of the "Likely Lads" and the first episode of "Whatever Happened" to appreciate the link between the two series. Sara had never seen the "Likely Lads" before, only the "Whatever Happened". It was belly laughing comedy - something we really needed with all this depressing weather and job uncertainty; and being much older than when I first saw the series, found the humour even better than remembered. Brilliant comedy writing with excellent one-liners.
I don't know where I will be tomorrow as it very much depends upon the weather. I am due to be in Dorking but my car still seems to be well and truly stuck with the sludgy snow having frozen. Looking out of the window just before writing this blog, I see the snow is already falling again! Will it ever stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment