Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kippers and Courts

Yes, definitely “deja-vu” today. My hotel room was stifling hot when I woke up this morning despite having had a window open. I don’t have a view of the sea and my window overlooks a dingy courtyard. However, the room is spacious enough - as I recorded yesterday it is actually two rooms. I went down to breakfast forgetting about my plans for an early morning swim and ordered their excellent Manx kippers – although today they did seem rather salty. The weather looked mild and after collecting all my paperwork I met Rose just on the corner by Market Street and we walked up Prospect Hill together to Jura’s coffee bar for a meeting with our Manx lawyer to review all the new affidavits which had been filed. We walked up to the Deemster’s Court where we were to spend the next three hours until the luncheon adjournment. Rose and I had a sandwich lunch in Marks & Spencer. I was not particularly hungry but had a raging thirst brought about by a combination of a stuffy court room and salty kippers. We split up after lunch – me in successful search of my freebie movie DVD from W.H. Smith’s and a proper 5’ x 3’ Manx flag which I acquired from a party shop with the intriguing name of Balloons to Let Go (IOM). Returning to court (complete with purchases) we sat through another one and a half hours to learn that the Deemster was adjourning the winding up petition for a further 39 days – until Thursday 9 April, Maundy Thursday. Pity, I will not be able to return for that hearing as I shall be in Minehead at the start of Spring Harvest on that day. I really would like to return when the trams and trains are running again. Rose and I went .down to our offices in Castletown where I had a whole host of emails awaiting my attention. I finally left around 6 p.m. in the 5-series BMW loaned to me. I returned to Douglas and drove around a little getting my bearings and looking out for potentially decent restaurant’s to dine in tonight. After parking the car at the hotel I walked into Douglas proper and eventually found an excellent Thai restaurant just up from Tynwald (the Manx Houses of Parliament). The restaurant went with the predictable name of King and I run by an Adam (my brother-in-law) lookalike and is Thai wife. They also had a young boy about eight clad in a Liverpool FC shirt. I had chicken satay followed by ginger and spring onion stir fry scallops with coconut rice. It was an excellent meal and I chatted at some length to the owner, Neil. I finished off with a truly palate-cleansing pineapple sorbet – beautiful. I then trotted down the hill and down a road I recognised as being where I had stayed in a flat in 1993 for the Manx Electric Railway Centenary celebrations. Back to the hotel for a nightcap and an early night. My intentions tomorrow include an early morning swim and down to W.H. Smith before breakfast. We’ll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment