Monday, February 23, 2009

A Salisbury Day


No heavy travelling today - for a change. Today I worked in our Salisbury office at a desk no more than three yards from Sara. They say you should never work with your spouse - well in our case we both had so many meetings and kept our heads down with work that we hardly saw anything of each other. Not even lunch together. Indeed, I grabbed a quick cheese roll from our restaurant which I took back to my desk. I did, however, slip out briefly to get my ticket for the rail journey up to Birmingham tomorrow where I am attending an all day conference on TUPE - the dreaded Transfer of Undertakings legislation which regulates outsourcing of services to protect employees' employment. It's a clear sign of the times when such conferences are over-subscribed - hence my need to go all the way to Birmingham. I was shocked at the train fare too! It is quite something when you think that the cost of a return train fare from Salisbury to Birmingham is half the cost of a single flight from London to the Caribbean! I also managed to get my hair cut too (or head polished as I like to quip - it doesn't take very long). At around 2 p.m. I received a phone call from Tom's school to say that he was in the sick bay with a headache and upset stomach. The school could not get in touch with Sara whose phone was on voicemail and whose mobile was "usefully" ringing away in the car whilst she was in the office. Eventually by way of phoning my secretary a message was got to Sara in the Salisbury office! I left the office at around 5.45 p.m. and on the way home spoke to Mum on my mobile as I had not spoken to her last night because we had Klynn around. Mum told me that she was going out with friends - she didn't tell me who - for a birthday lunch at the Punch Bowl on Cleethorpes seafront on Thursday and was going to spend the evening at the Cleethorpes Conservative Club where they play bingo. After an early supper of some left over Chinese chow mein, sat in the study to pay some bills on line and to book our hotel in Grimsby for the weekend. An early night as my train for Birmingham leaves Salisbury at 5.15 a.m. - ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment