Friday, February 06, 2009

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!


Surprise, surprise, it started snowing again upon waking. This same start to every blog is beginning to get monotonous! I was due in Dorking today but it was quite clear that it was again going to be impossible to get the car out of the drive despite having cleared a pathway yesterday afternoon. Both children complained of heavy colds so didn't go to school. Both schools did in fact open but closed again at lunchtime. Today marked the 57th anniversary of the death of King George VI and the Queen's assumption of the British throne. We hoisted the Union Flag of course which hung limply at first in the snowy/sleety weather. Sara then drove me and the cat into Salisbury (the cat to have her post-op check-up and me for a meeting in the office). I worked in the office until about 12.30 p.m. when Sara arrived with Mary warning me that the weather had deteriorated further in Winterlsow and we should return before we got "snowed-out"! After some essential shopping at the local Tesco's store in Castle Street, we returned home in blizzard conditions. Linda from church phoned to confirm that the Alpha Course meeting was cancelled tonight and so I cooked the family one of my special paellas which went down well with some Argentinian red wine. The temperature dropped dramatically as the sun (and the flag) went down and the snow became rock hard. The skies are clear as I write this blog with a bright gibbous moon - its light illuminating the crisp white landscape. After the paella and wine I dozed off in front of the log fire whilst we watched "Shirley Valentine".

No comments:

Post a Comment