Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Typical Sunday


If you ever ask what a typical Sunday means for the Barratts of Winterslow - today was one such day. It usually starts with a discussion as to whether Tom has a football match or not, who is going to the 8 a.m. Early Morning Eucharist at St. John's and who is going to the Parish Eucharist at All Saints - assuming that there is, in fact, a service at either; a rushed (or no) breakfast for those dashing off to church and the washing-up for those who are not! Tom was playing football and so he and I stayed behind while Sara and Mary went off to All Saints - Mary to sing in the choir. Armed withhis Clarendon Juniors footie kit, energy drink (for Tom) and a flask of coffee for me it was a short trip to our home ground (Barry's Field) to face Sarum Under 12s. I stayed in the car for a while to take advantage of the peace and quiet (and warmth) to read half an inch of affidavits filed on Friday in the Isle of Man case. I was slightly concerned over some of the points made in them and will need to spend some time tomorrow with clients on the phone to discuss their take on the issues. Tom played for the whole of the first half but only the latter part of the second. Clarendon were not playing on top form and lost the match 4-8! Back home to warm up and to take part in that other English Sunday ritual - the washing of the car - which was necessary due to the immense coating of salt it had received from the gritted roads during the Big Freeze. This ritual, like the football, had two halves with an excellent traditional Sunday roast chicken lunch at "half-time" provided by Sara. I really look forward to her leisure time following her possible redundancy as it is likely to be filled with cooking such goodies! In the afternoon I started work on my monthly Night Sky article for the parish magazine which I finished in the evening. We also watched a programme of American police car chases which was quite amusing. I also chatted-through the wonders of instant messaging - with my old friend Alan in Canada. As I had attended no church service this morning I went to the Evening Prayer service at Farley where Elizabeth preached on the topic of fear - revealing that she fears wasps and blood! Having completed the Night Sky article and had a shower I then went to bed where I wrote today's blog. All in all, a typical Sunday in a not so sleepy Wiltshire village.

No comments:

Post a Comment