Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saints go marching on...!

I woke up in Liverpool at 7 a.m. - a little later than I wanted to as I had a long day ahead of me with a long drive. After a shower and breakfast of tea and crumpets After a breakfast of tea and crumpets we all set off in two cars for Southampton to meet up with Tom so that he, Sam and Malcolm could go to the Saints v. Preston North End game - Malcolm and Sam being PNE season ticket supporters. PNE are currently 4th in the table and Saints second from bottom. I fully expected Saints to be hammered again and thought I was getting a blessed relief in not being able to go myself - Sara and I were to attend a masonic function at the Trowbridge Civic Hall. Imagine my disbelief, then, when on listening on BBC Radio Solent, I heard that at half-time Saints were winning 3-0! In fact Saints, who were clearly the stronger side, went on to win the game 3-1. This didn't improve their position in the table but it did, at least, give the youngsters in the team a great boost to their confidence. Sara was extremely mischievous and as well as having hoisted the Saint's flag on our flagpole went throughout the house putting "3-1" stickers on door sand in particular on the the door of Malcolm and Sam's room. I taped a Saints' bag on the front door and Sara put one of my Saint's shirts in their bed. Naughty naughty!! Sara and I had a very enjoyable evening at Trowbridge and chatted with a couple of my fellow Provincial Officers and their wives. The food was very good - salmon mousse, chicken in peach sauce and profiteroles. All very yummy. Sara drove back which was quite "hairy" - a combination of poor eyesight, unfamiliar road and an unfamiliar car (she hates driving the Mercedes!). We did get back, eventually at around 11.30 p.m. Sam and Tom were still up but Malcolm was fast asleep on our couch! We helped him dispose of some of the rent (Bushmill's original) before going to bed at around 1.30 a.m.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment