Monday, February 02, 2009

Stranded!



My prediction last night was correct - any thoughts of going to Dorking were destroyed by a heavy fall of snow here in Winterslow and atrocious conditions across the South-East of England. Indeed, the Dorking office had to be closed and only two members of my whole department made it in - and that was because they actually lived in Dorking. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it!) I had my laptop and many files which I had taken to the Isle of Man so I was able to keep in touch with what was going on and deal with a few urgent matters. Sara didn't have her laptop and after quite a few attempts at getting her car out of our drive she managed to struggle into the Salisbury office. My heavier Mercedes stood no hope whatsoever of moving out. Both of the children's schools were closed and so it was as well that I was able to work from home. I started them off with a snowball fight and the beginnings of a snowman but both lost interest when Tom decided he would prefer to make movies on his laptop and Mary got a better offer of some tobogganing with a group of girls next door. This left me free to get on with some work. As we live in an area totally devoid of a mobile phone signal I had to walk halfway up the hill towards the village shop to be able to divert my mobile phone to our landline. Mary had lunch next door and Tom and I feasted on fish fingers, oven chips and mushy peas - eat your heart out Jamie Oliver! In the evening I spoke to my sister Heather about Mum's health and plans for her forthcoming birthday. We'll probably go up to Grimsby if we can to see her around that time. Tom showed my how to use the Moviemaker software and I had a go at making a very short video about the Newport Transporter Bridge - not exactly James Cameron stuff but a start! This software will, however, be very useful to embarass Sara at her 50th Birthday Party in June. I already have some great ideas up my sleeve. Tomorrow looks like being unpredictable again. I have a dentist's appointment at 8.30 a.m. to remove and replace a filling and then an appointment with the dental sadist......sorry hygienist!

1 comment:

  1. what sort of videos are you hoping to pull together that will embarrass Sara??

    ReplyDelete