Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Snow Cat


Yet another correct prediction - we awoke to a further heavy snow fall. Although I cleared as much snow as possible from the drive I was only able to reverse my car for about 6 feet before it became well and truly stuck. My appointment with the dentist was certainly not going to happen today! I couldn't leave my drive let alone travel in to Salisbury (there were no buses running either). Sara's car was no better. Both Tom's and Mary's schools were closed again and so Sara took the day off and helped them make a snowman. I dealt with some more work emails on the laptop and started work for my presentation to the Health Claims Forum in London next week. Louise and her two boys came round for lunch with us and I returned to the study where I seemed to have a whole series of phone calls. We had noticed that our cat, Emily, had not eaten much food for a couple of days and we put this down to feline fussiness (we had changed brands at the weekend). However, Sara noticed that her mouth didn't look quite right and on closer inspection it was clear that one of her canine teeth was loose and the gums looked inflamed. Sara phoned the vet in Salisbury and they could give us an appointment in 1 hour - we just needed to get her to Salisbury. Knowing my car was well and truly stuck I made a few attempts to get Sara's out - but to no avail. Fortunately with some help from one of our neighbours, who is also a church member, we spread salt on the driveway and broke up the ice and after a couple of attempts managed to get the car on to the road. It was then a "hairy" drive into Salisbury with the cat crying all the way - I felt like crying too! Once at the vets a thorough examination revealed that Emily was a strong healthy cat but needed to have her tooth extracted. I couldn't believe the cost! - at least three times the cost of my own proposed dental work. If you think hamsters are expensive then just ask me about cats! Fortunately she is insured. The vet gave her antibiotic and pain-killing jabs and asked me to bring her back tomorrow for the operation - she will be in all day. Looking at the further snow fall tonight that could be rather optimistic but the plan is to drop her off on my way in to the Salisbury office where I have appointments. Saints were playing at home tonight against Sheffield United which was only one of four matches being played in the Championship. After my experience driving into Salisbury with a crying cat and the -2 degrees C temperature freezing the slush on the main roads, I decided that I would forgo the use of the season tickets and a freezing cold stadium and listen to the game on BBC Radio Solent in front of a warm log fire. I'm so glad I did. The attendance at St. Mary's was only just above 13,000 - the lowest gate ever for a league game at St. Mary's - and Saints lost 1-2 even after Sheffield United were down to ten men midway through the first half. Sheffield United scored first whilst still with eleven men and Saints equalised on the 90th minute. Another one-pointer seemed inevitable although Saints tried to get the winner in the 4 minutes of stoppage time remaining. Another goal was indeed scored on 90+3 but into the back of Saints' net. An absolute disaster and one which I think will confirm their relegation place this season - and will mean a descent into third tier football for only the second time in their history and not since 1953! It would have been a really miserable drive back from Southampton. Now to bed and to see what unpredictable excitement tomorrow can bring!

1 comment:

  1. Flinging gravel in all directions and burning rubber I finally fought my way up my drive so
    I'm venturing out tomorrow, i may well however crash in Basingstoke as I have a very important meeting in London Friday lunch time
    Sorry to hear about Saints, but they are crap aren't they and deserve a kick up the ass!

    Also, looks like you have another follower, someone from Greece by the look of things.

    ReplyDelete