Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Unexpected Welsh Rarebit

A very hectic and unpredictable day today - in fact the sort I really like. I began the day working in our Salisbury office where I seemed to have back to back appointments and everybody seemed to want to pick my brains - indeed, they seemed so picked over that I'm not sure much was left of them by the end of the morning. As expected there was a rush of documentation to read before the court hearing in Douglas on Thursday. I managed to have lunch with the family at home - excellent home made chicken noodle soup - before setting off for Liverpool at around 2.30 p.m. The trip up to Merseyside normally takes me around 4 hours but today it was 6! The journey started well and I made Swindon within the hour but upon joining the M5 at Gloucester I found myself in an horrific jam all the way up to Worcester (there had been a nasty accident near Worcester and the fire brigade were trying to cut somebody out from the wreckage). I learned afterwards that some cars were delayed by 3 hours! Knowing that Liverpool lay to the west I took a chance and left the motorway at Tewkesbury and struck out westwards skirting the Malvern Hills to the south and driving through Herefordshire via Ledbury to join the A49 at Leominster. It was then a steady journey up north through Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, and into Wales and Wrexham (oh happy memories of my first night spent with Sara there!) and finally skirting Chester and up the Wirral to Birkenhead and through the Mersey Tunnel to Liverpool. After a cup of tea with Malcolm we went into Lark Lane to our favorite Greek restaurant where the waitress knows us well. She has just returned from maternity leave and is expecting another child in August! It was lovely to see her again as she is such a laugh. We had some good Scouse "crac" with her before returning back to Malcolm's for the "statutory" whisky nightcap. Tomorrow I will need to get up early to get the train into Manchester for meetings there. I don't know what the atmosphere will be like as the staff were only told last week that their office is to close before the year is out. I will then be flying off to Douglas on the Isle of Man for the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment