Friday, February 20, 2009

The Flying Kipper - with apologies to the Rev. Audrey


I woke early but still felt too tired to drag myself down to the basement for a swim. Instead I had a nice cup of tea and and a bath. I then went for a brisk walk along Strand Street to get my next freebie DVD from W.H. Smith's. Returning to the hotel I breakfasted on kippers again before checking out and collecting my car for the hotel car park. The sun by this time was glorious and the day bright and warm. I drove to Castletown via Quarter Bridge arriving at our offices at around 9.30 a.m. Another full day of work until 3.30 p.m. when I was picked up by the booked taxi and taken to Ronaldsway Airport. Here I learned that my flight back to Liverpool was delayed by about 25 minutes due to "technical problems"at Manchester. Fortunately the plane did arrive as expected at 5 p.m. and after a short flight I was back in Liverpool at around 5.30 p.m. I seemed to have to wait nearly as long as the flight time to retrieve my hold baggage. Eventually, having been re-united with my bag, I arrived that the Airport Information Desk to retrieve my security pass left with security when I went out three days before. I was duly given it after being told that I had to pay £4 for it to be handed over. I asked why? The answer was "admin. costs"! Quite honestly, it should be part of the service and I said I would take it up with their management at a later date. I then discovered that because my flight had been delayed, the baggage slow on coming off and the time taken for my visit to the Information Desk, I was being charged an extra day's parking as I was leaving the car park 20 minutes into the third day! I was pleased to get in my car and leave the airport. Malcolm was already home when I arrived at his flat and after a glass of wine, he, I and Sam went to the Gulshan - our favourite Indian restaurant on Merseyside. We returned for our usual whisky nightcap and as soon as I have finished writing this blog I will be snuggling up in my sleeping bag. We all have a long day and a long journey tomorrow to Southampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment