Friday, February 27, 2009

More Farewells

Off to my Dorking office today for the first time for nearly two weeks. The traffic was incredibly light this morning and my journey up to Dorking took just 1 hour and 15 minutes. The morning started with general administration including dealing with all the expenses claims from my trips over the last two weeks. This was followed by a teleconference on the Manx bank problem with our Communications Unit in London. Today also saw the last day of my temporary assistant, Nasir's, employment with us. He is moving on into private practice in London and at his presentation said a few nice words about me and the work and teaching I had given him over the last 14 months. I really wish him well. He's a great chap, a hard worker and deserves to do well in his future legal career. He will be sadly missed especially by out International Divison on the Isle of Man. A group of us joined him for his last fish and chips lunch in the office restaurant. The afternoon was taken up with the handover of files to my permanent assistant and meetings with our HR Department. It was also a sad farewell to Mary and Marketa in the HR Department who are both redundant and on the way home I learned of yet another HR redundancy. Every day seems to bring fresh news of people leaving us. My colleague from our Debt Recovery Department, Anthony, had a lift home with me and I dropped him off at Andover railway station to catch the train into Salisbury. We had interesting discussions on the state of the economy and the company. We also discussed the Margaret Thatcher documentary on TV the night before. Tonight was the fourth night of the Alpha course when the topic was The Bible and how we read and study it. We started with an excellent meal - I had the fish pie - sang a couple of songs and then watched a brilliant presentation by Nicky Gumbel. We then had a bible reading from Mark and discussion after coffee. Arriving home I sat down to write this blog whilst at the same time watching the wonderful film Calendar Girls which has that rare quality of humour and sadness which works really well. I wonder whether we can still persuade Sara, Maxime and some of the other church ladies to do a similar calendar for the church funds?

No comments:

Post a Comment