Monday, August 29, 2011

Bank Holiday by the Seaside

Another leisurely morning today.  I woke early but dozed.  Again the weather promised to behave.  I made tea for Mum and me and then read my devotionals and also a chapter of my latest Dan Brown novel - "Digital Fortress" which I had borrowed from Peter's son Neil.  His novels are so easy to read as they have very short chapter making it easy to pick up and put down the book in the course of a day.  I really do wish that Tom would share my love of reading.  Mum cooked us a breakfast of sausages, beans, bacon and fried egg.  After this Tom and I walked down to the newsagents to buy a morning paper and a Grimsby Evening Telegraph for Mum.  I did a couple of small jobs for Mum this morning - replacing her upstairs smoke alarm and fixing her electrics in the garage and door bell - the main fuse had blown which required me to have a trip out to Homebase to buy fusewire and also isolate some cabling to a light in an outbuilding (my old laboratory/greenhouse) which had had its roof removed by high winds allowing rainwater to seep into the electrics.  It took me too attempts to ensure that this cable and appliance was properly isolated before I could be certain that all was fixed.  After about hour an hour her freezer and doorbell were working agian and she had a light in the garage.  We then drove into parking the car in Prince's Road and walking the 150 yards or so to the seafront where we spent an hour or so in the amusement arcades - Tom won a plastic pig statue on one of the penny falls machines.  We had an excellent fish and chip lunch at the Ocean Restaurant in St. Peter's Avenue - the 2011 winner of the Fish & Chip Restaurant of the Year Award - before I picked up the car and drove round to pick mum Mum and Tom.  We drove back to Mum's along the seafront to Humberston - the resort heaving with trippers from, I guess, Yorkshire and the Midlands.  Tom and I left about 4.15 p.m. and listened to the Gateshead v Grimsby Town football match on Radio Humberside on the way back.  Grimsby lost again (1-0).  We also heard on Radio Lincolnshire that Lincoln City also lost against Darlington and Boston United drew 0-0 against Halifax.  We travelled back south via Boston (where we hit the football traffic), Spalding, Peterborough, Northampton and Oxford.  We arrived home at about 9.20 p.m.  so just over 5 hours to do the 250 miles.  I was glad to be back after so much travelling.  It was great to see Mary with the cats which are learning to tolerate each other.  A busy day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment