Friday, August 19, 2011

Cricket and Brahms

An early morning start with an attendance at Ambassadors' Breakfast Club at the Grasmere House Hotel.  Following the meeting I called in on John and Audrey in Harnham and delivered John's Wiltshire Provincial Tie.  I joined them for coffee in their conservatory and we talked about my recent visit to The Hawk Conservancy as both are very keen amateur ornithologists.  Following this visit I stopped off at Texco's to buy a roast for Sunday and some vegetables and fruit.  Sara had a Junior Church Leaders' meeting this morning and Mary was still in bed when I returned.  Sara was also working in the Lord Nelson pub this lunchtime too and Tom went with her to play darts and have some lunch there.  I wrote my monthly column for the Parish Magazine over lunchtime and this afternoon dealt with some incoming mail and telephone calls.  I walked up to the post office to pay a bill and post some letters mid-afternoon.  This evening I helped Sara finish off building Tom's bedroom desk.  He is delighted with his new bedroom now that it is fully furnished.  There are still quite a number of crates on the landing containing his possessions and some of the contents removed from my study.  Once we can move stuff in to Sara's study we can build my new desk and then cull some of my own possessions.  Tonight I watched the highlights of the day's 4th Test Match against India on TV with Pietersen and Bell putting on a record partnership against India of some 350 runs before Pietersen was caught for 175.  Bell is still at the crease tonight on 181!  India really are getting a hammering again.  After the cricket highlights I watched the Brahms' Prom Concert with his 3rd Symphony and 1st Piano Concerto (two of my favourite pieces from this composer).  Bernard Haitink conducted the European Chamber Orchestra with Emmanuel Ax as soloist in the Concerto.  Two grand old men of music who showed that age matures the artist like a fine wine.  Excellent performances.  A real joy to watch/listen.  It's amazing to think that Haitink is 82 years of age - the same age as Mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment