Thursday, August 18, 2011

Films and Popcorn Day

I woke up this morning to torrential rain beating down.  Other than a list of still to be completed paperwork from yesterday I had no specific plans at all for the day which was as well.  After a breakfast of bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms, Sara, Mary and I decided to go into Salisbury to the cinema as we could all join the children's matinee showing of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" for £5 in total (plus the cost of popcorn and drinks of course!).  We left my car at the Park & Ride in London Road and caught the bus which dropped us outside the cinema - handy when it is raining so hard.  Quite a number of other parents had the same idea and we queued for about 10 minutes to get our tickets.  The film which is a screenplay adaptation of  Jeff Kinney's successful book was very entertaining dealing  truthfully, as it does, with teenagers and sibling rivalry.  A pity that Tom didn't want to join us.  After the film I did some banking and paid our telephone bill at the post office before meeting up with Sara and Mary again at The Boston Tea Party for a pot of tea.  They then went off shopping and I went to Sarum College bookshop to buy a couple of books and ordering more for our House Group when it meets properly again in September.  We will be studying the book of Hebrews.  Sara thinks I must have the gift of prophecy because I said to her that I suspected the kitchen would be in  a complete mess as a result of Tom's attempts at cooking himself lunch.  I was correct.  The remnants of a pasta dish and a heavily burnt saucepan were evidence that he had cooked the ubiquitous pasta and overcooked popcorn!  He was made to clean up the mess and scrub the pan.  Tonight we were due to have House Group and Sara chose the Peter Seller's Oscar-winning film "Being There" - the last film released during Seller's life.  In the end we watched it ourselves as nobody turned up for House Group tonight.  I think quite a few people are having a break and as we are not studying scripture but watching films people feel they can miss an evening.  We enjoyed the film immensely over another bowl of popcorn.  It's a good job that popcorn is so low in points for Weight Watchers as I need to get focused again on losing weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment