Friday, January 18, 2013

The Predictable and Unpredictable

Woke up to a massive fall of snow (as predicted) this morning and poor Thom and Sara had to trudge around the village on Thom's paper round with deep snow drifts underfoot and heavy snow falling.  All schools are closed today and so both Thom and Mary will be staying at home today.  I also received an email this morning confirming that my Sarum College day tomorrow has been called off and will happen on a future Saturday.  Well, living in Winterslow, that is a relief as there is no way we could drive out of the village as things are this morning.  Just before midday today I received a tweet suggesting that something terrible and very unpredictable had happened at St. Mary's this morning - Nigel Adkins had been replaced by a young unknown Argentinian, Mauricio Pochettino - I can't even remember his name let alone pronounce it! - who does not seem to have much of a successful managerial career so far as I can see.  Absolutely shocked today and feeling really ashamed at being a supporter and season ticket holder for a club which treats such a great manager as Nigel Adkins with such contempt.  He was really turning Saint's fortunes around.  It is interesting that the bookmakers have now shortened the odds for a Southampton relegation. I felt in a state of shock for the rest of the afternoon.  I went for a walk up to St. John's, up Witt Road and across the fields back home to clear my mind of this incredible event.  I used the opportunity to take some photographs of a wintry Winterslow.  This afternoon I walked with Maggie D to Mike's for a meeting of the Winterslow PCC's Standing Committee.  The meeting began at 3.30 p.m. and didn't finish until nearly 6.00 pm.  This evening we all watched an Agathe Christie Poirot movie - Hickory, Dickory, Dock and a couple of episodes of Father Ted.  Definitely a day for staying in.  I shall be at homer again all day tomorrow with college being postponed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment