Tuesday, January 01, 2013

New Year's Day - Saints gain a point from Arsenal

New Year's Day and I woke with hopes of a really good year ahead.  Sara and I reflected on some of the things to look forward to this year and, in particular, a busy and celebratory September - 26th September sees of Crystal Wedding Anniversary (15 years); 27th September see my 60th birthday - not such a wonderful celebration as I shall then feel definitely old! and 28th September should see me admitted and licensed as a Lay Minister by the bishop in Salisbury Cathedral.  That day will also be the sixteenth anniversary of Thom's baptism also in Salisbury Cathedral.  I started my new year's resolution by getting up early and reading my devotionals.  I shall now do this in the quiet and peace of the family room and have left my books and an candle there as a reminder and incentive.  Sara and I jointly cooked lunch today - roast beef with all the trimmings with pears in red wine sauce as a dessert - and this afternoon started watching another Agatha Christie "Poirot" which had to be curtailed so that Thom and I could get off to Southampton to watch the Saints take on Arsenal in a late afternoon kick-off which was also being televised.  We were not optimistic that we would get anything from this game especially as Arsenal had just beaten Newcastle 7-3!  The roads were quiet as we entered Southampton and we parked easily in our usual spot on Rockstone Place.   We arrived at the ground in good time and were surrounded by numerous people we had never seen before (or probably won't again) including half  dozen people in front of us one of whom (a small boy) was wearing an Arsenal shirt!  Really poor when one considers many true Saints fans couldn't get tickets. Andy said he had managed to get tickets for the Aston Villa game and so Thom and I have decided, subject to diary commitments, to try and get tickets ourselves to go to Birmingham.  Southampton played really well this evening and went into the lead in the first half only to concede an own goal just before half-time.  Southampton were the better side throughout but couldn't convert their superior play into another goal.  The final result was1-1 which is sufficient to lift them out of the bottom three (both Wigan and Reading losing and QPR playing on Wednesday). Aston Villa drew 2-2 away to Swansea which leaves them as a good target for Saints and must see game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment